Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Bûche de Noël

The bûche de Noël, an edible Yule log, is France’s greatest contribution to the Christmas season. A sponge cake baked into a thin layer is topped with chocolate buttercream and rolled up—then decorated with more buttercream, meringue mushrooms, and perhaps a marzipan mouse—to resemble a log that happens to be lying on the forest floor. 


My 15-year-old niece Isabel created this bûche de Noël as extra credit for French class. I remember when her mother, Anna, made a similar one at the same age. It reigned over the holiday sweets during a Christmas party until someone couldn’t stand it anymore and snuck a slice.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a great fan of your blog. Loved the za'tar, the taste buds and the tough beef postings, also this one for Christmas. But I do have a question about the mouse that resembles a log. Was the mouse missing a comma?
    Granma

    ReplyDelete
  2. The big drawback to blogging is that the audience is your editor. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete