For decades, Nordic House, purveyor of many things Scandinavian, operated out of a crowded store on Telegraph Avenue in Oakland. It stood in an impossible location adjacent to a freeway overpass but nowhere near an exit, and I invariably became lost trying to find the place.
So I was pleased to learn that the store was moving to San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley. It’s much easier to find, and it’s closer to my folks’ house, which means I’m nearby more often. Then I received a coupon giving me 10 percent off my first purchase at the new store.
Nordic House makes much of its own goods, such as curry, sour cream, and regular pickled herring; rullepølse, a sort of pastrami made with lamb, pork, or beef; meatballs; cucumber salad; and potato sausage. It also carries blueberry soup mix, which I make double-strength and use as a syrup for waffles; Swedish brown beans; canned reindeer meat; lutefisk; fish paste in toothpaste tubes (though lately they’ve had a hard time importing the best of the bunch, smoked herring); all varieties of Scandinavian cheeses; lefse (Norwegian soft bread made with potatoes); flatbreads; lingonberries; cookies; and mjölkchoklad, fantastic milk chocolate from Sweden.
For us Scandinavians, even third-generation, it’s all to die for. I filled up my basket and forked over $70, even with the discount. Then I went out to my car to find I’d received a $40 parking ticket. The pickled herring (plain) was worth it.

Timing is everything, Mandy. If the meter person had been around you could have negotiated with herring. There's something very convincing about those fillets in sour cream.
ReplyDeleteKate, filets in wine sauce are so much better than filets in sour cream.
ReplyDeleteMy Ukrainian equivalent is CrossWorlds Market on San Antonio near Middlefield near the Palo Alto-Mountain View border. 50 kinds of pickles! 30 kinds of smoked fish! Obscure beers from Eastern Europe! A Greek-American friend nearly burst into tears when she saw the pasta selection.
We should have a "preserved fish" party.
In 30 years of residence in Berkeley, foodie proclivities and a taste for geitost, lapskaus and akvavit honed at the University of Oslo International Summer School and three months as a deckhand on a Norwegian freighter, I never heard of Nordic House. I'll have to check it out on my next visit to the Bay Area.
ReplyDeleteDavid