Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Visual Appeal

Ever since I wrote an article about the baking competition at the San Mateo County Fair, I’ve been meaning to enter a cake, a loaf of bread, or a plate of cookies. I tasted the goodies along with the judges, and I think I could give the winners a run for their money. But here’s what holds me back: I can’t make anything look pretty. While taste is the most important factor, cuteness counts, too.

My pies are always dripping juice, my cakes break apart when I try to ease them out of the pan, and my breads come out lopsided. They look appetizing in a rustic, homemade sort of way, but they’re not for show.

The cookies sitting inside the glass cabinets at this year’s fair were adorable, and way beyond my capabilities. I’m thinking I’ll start next year with a quick bread — if there’s no frosting or cutting involved I might do okay.

1 comment: