Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Cooking Peachy

Peach pie is one of those foods I just don’t get. Cooking peaches destroys their delicious, fruity essence, so why ruin a batch of the fresh fruit by turning it into a pie?

Still, I have found one recipe that will lead me to sacrifice a peach to the oven: Lee Bailey’s peach cake. While the heat eliminates the peaches’ perfume, the peach-batter interface that results is so good it’s a worthwhile trade. The recipe produces something closer to a pudding than a cake, and its crisp, peach juice–enhanced top is to die for.

I have found good peaches at many markets, but the most reliably excellent ones are sold at the Alemany Farmers Market. I will drive up to city and fight the traffic early Saturday morning just to buy peaches from Regier Farms of Dinuba. I often buy a flat — enough that I’m willing to donate a few to the cake.

Incidentally, this recipe comes from Lee Bailey’s Soup Meals, whose soup recipes are ho-hum while its dessert recipes are fantastic.

Peach Pudding Cake

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup softened butter
2 eggs
3 or 4 peaches, peeled and quartered
1 - 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Heat the oven to 350°. Butter an 8- or 9-inch springform pan. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix the 3 tablespoons of sugar and the cinnamon and set aside.

Cream the butter and the rest of the sugar well, and add eggs one at a time. Slowly add the flour mixture until well mixed, and spread the batter in the pan. Top with the peaches and sprinkle with the lemon juice, then coat with the sugar-cinnamon mixture.

Bake about an hour, until the cake is a dark golden color. Serve warm. 

6 comments:

  1. Agreed about peaches. Cooked, they taste like not much.

    Wonder if I could make this with plums? I have an excess of greengages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should worth with most fruit, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is another way to cook a peach that I find acceptable: Peel them and saute them in butter, rum, brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon, and put on vanilla ice cream. It's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since you previously led me to plum tart success I will now jump on yonder peach recipe and be the Queen of the Next Potluck.

    Thank you in advance, Food Writer!

    PS. Over ice cream, Anonymous? I think I can mange that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Peachy Domestic Partner made this last night. It was delicious, and your comment about the "peach-batter interface" (that phrase is as delicious as the cake) absolutely nailed it. I got my peaches from your pals at Alemany, where it now takes 10 minutes to get out of the parking lot, and that's after arriving before 7:00 AM and departing before 8:00.

    ReplyDelete
  6. FYI -- I decided to give this a try over the weekend. Deelish! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete