I’ve often wanted to pluck off the fruit that grow on my neighbors’ cacti. There they are, right at arm’s length, just on the other side of the fence, looking so temptingly pink and plump. But those spines — and the fact that it would, of course, be theft — hold me back.
So when I found a basketfull at the Redwood City Farmers Market, I snatched one up. This one was pale green, about four inches long, and it managed to lodge several spines in my fingers despite my care in avoiding them.
I cut it in half, according to the seller’s instructions, and scooped out the flesh like an avocado. The fruit is dotted with seeds like grape pips, which were too many to spit out but went down easily enough.
The fruit was mild and lacking acid, much like a honeydew melon. Next time, I’ll buy more than one and make them into an agua fresca, adding water, ice, lime juice, and a little sugar: a thirst-quenching drink, just what you hope a cactus would yield.

I've had the fruit raw, but I didn't stop to think about an agua fresca. Brilliant! Will be on the lookout for cactus fruit on 24th Street.
ReplyDelete