So this Sunday’s steaks were grilled in the kitchen on the Farberware, a lovely piece of culinary nostalgia, circa 1966. We bought it at an estate sidewalk sale in Precita Valley, San Francisco, for $20. It came with a quilted vinyl cozy and an instruction booklet, complete with such recipes as leg of lamb piquant and limed fillets. It also has a spit attachment, which roasted a duck quite successfully one rainy Christmas Eve.
For whatever reason, bone-in steaks cook better on the Farberware than boneless steaks, which quickly become tough. Though the smoky taste was lacking, the teenage chef easily produced tender T-bones, saving a weekly tradition.
I received a Farberware Open Hearth Broiler for a wedding gift in September 1971 and have used it almost weekly for over 39 years. The only part that is showing any real wear is the plug on the cord. I found on ebay about 7 years ago a NIB same model that I have. Although I did not pay $20.00 for it ($60.00) I have not yet had to put it into service. What a great product, I love it. Colin Mellin
ReplyDelete