For Christmas Alex received a crème brûlée kit: a butane torch and six ramekins. So on Boxing Day, when family members dropped by for the third day of present opening, he decided to put his tools to use. Unfortunately, the traditional method of making crème brûlée — stirring cream and eggs over a double boiler while it slowly thickens — required too much patience for a 14-year-old, and the result was sugary soup.
Last weekend he wanted to re-try, and I found a better recipe on the inner tubes. This one requires baking the custard in a slow oven: no stirring required. (Thanks to Walter S. Burton's aunt Carol for the recipe.) However, the butane torch also requires some restraint: to get a golden, crisp sugar crust, you need to hold it at a distance and slowly move the flame over the sugar. Our crème brûlée was set on fire and well blackened. But I've always liked my marshmallows well burnt, so I was happy with it.
No-Stir Crème Brûlée
2 cups cream
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
Light brown sugar for topping
Heat oven to 275°. Whisk together the first four ingredients and pour into four 7-ounce ramekins. Place in a baking pan in the oven and pour hot water in the pan until it reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cook for about an hour — it's done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let cool, and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Sieve an even, 1/4-inch layer of brown sugar over the top of the custard and torch until it forms a crust.
tomato risotto with frizzled red onions
4 days ago
Is 'inner tubes' a cute new term for internet? I've not heard it before - I better get with it!
ReplyDeleteThe low oven temp is a good idea for baked custard. I usually do 325 degrees but will try 275 next time.
Crispy Marshmallow Crème Brûlée sounds like a plan to me.
ReplyDeleteWell done, young chef! I'll take mine with coffee.
"On the internet" sounded so tired, I decided to use a family term. I have no idea if anyone else says it.
ReplyDeleteLikely derived from the more commonly used Intertubes:
ReplyDeletehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intertube