The Chez Panisse Vegetables cookbook failed me last night. I had turned to it when faced with a plethora of turnips, planted more because I had an available half-barrel and the timing was right than because I wanted a pile of turnips.
The cookbook includes a simple recipe of sliced turnips and potatoes baked in cream and chicken stock. I thought the dish would complete my dinner of grilled pork chops and a simple green salad, at the same time exhausting the turnip supply.
The problem is one of geometry. The recipe calls for slicing the roots a quarter-inch thick, then layering them in a baking dish. But because potatoes and turnips don't fit together like Tetris pieces, big gaps lie between them, so I had to double the amount of liquid to fill those gaps and cover the slices, which led to a soupy mess.
If I were to do it again, I'd slice the roots thinly so they'd form a nearly solid layer. But I'm not about to go out and buy more turnips.
spaghetti aglio e olio
1 week ago

Or cut them in squares and practice tiling!
ReplyDeletePickle them. Google "torshi left" or "pickled turnips" and avoid any recipe that includes sugar. Or: make a brine with salt and a little vinegar, add a few slices of beet for color, add some chopped garlic and a little chopped fresh chili for heat. Pour over quartered turnips, into sterilized jar. Refrigerate for at least a week, 10 days if you're patient. See http://bit.ly/gQcqyF
ReplyDeleteI just eat turnips raw as snacks, or chop them up raw and put them in salad. Except potatoes, almost all root vegetables are tasty raw.
ReplyDeleteThe _Joy of Cooking_'s potatoes au gratin recipe is great with turnips substituted. Don't mix potatoes and turnips as they won't be done cooking at the same time.
My best recent cooking inspiration: limas in chipotle adobo sauce: yum.
Turnip pickles are nothing to sneeze at, but I say just roast 'em with olive oil.
ReplyDeleteStill, I feel your pain. Too many turnips is an age-old cook's dilemma. At least you gave it a go!
KateG said... "Too many turnips is an age-old cook's dilemma."
ReplyDeletePshaw. Mandy's not that old.